I am Daniel Spencer, a wayfarer out exploring experiences and life. I have an eclectic past of working in various places/positions, exhibiting art, being in bands, producing award winning films, travelling around the globe and contributing to multiple community groups/projects.
Today, I love to explore and immerse myself in the arts, go on nature walks and I’m in the kitchen a lot cooking and baking.
I’ve always been influenced by the arts community thanks to my parents being heavily involved in multiple creative groups/projects. This led me to explore, draw, paint, sculpt, animate loads of different projects growing up which got me in a career within the entertainment industry.
During the pandemic I moved to Mallow, Co. Cork, keeping me close enough to a train station that I could get into Dublin easy enough for work, whilst living near nature walks and inspiring landscapes. Since moving here, I joined the Mallow Arts Festival, helping out on numerous events and community projects.
I personally continue to practice art, keep on top of art/animation news and experiment on my own personal projects.
This summer I exhibited paintings and drawings I had created just before, during and after COVID 19 lock down. Find the full event in the West End Art Studios, Malllow Co. Cork here – http://milkand.xyz/2023/08/19/dancing-directionlessly-solo-exhibit/
I have been working professionally in the animation industry for the past 16 years. At first as a freelance artist in multiple roles, part time lecturer for multiple institutions and then in management for the last 10 years.
Management for me has been a fantastic experience as not only can I be creative in the bigger picture of scheduling large teams to make work happen but I also am able to facilitate and foster creative community on extensive projects which is deeply rewarding.
I work on demanding animated series for big clients like Disney, Netflix, BBC and more. My last three projects were ‘Ridley Jones’, ‘Eureka!’ and ‘Vampirina’.
- Leadership – 10+ years in management roles making decisions and looking after teams, finances, resources, whilst acting with integrity and fairness with my strategic mindset.
- Creativity & Adaptability – Always researching so that I can bring new ideas to the table and offer creative ‘out of the box’ thinking to situations.
- Problem Solving – Part of the day to day in management, always a problem, always a way to resolve conflicts to come up with a solution.
- Work Ethic – Honesty and taking responsibilities is key to how I work, when there is a problem it is researched and communicated thoroughly to my superiors, clients and the team.
- Human Resources – Extensive experience in assessing and hiring job candidates, training up employees, 1:1’s with individual employees and knowledge of employment rights.
- Project Management – I hold a large amount of credits directing, producing and managing projects of various sizes between animation, interactive and games pipelines.
- Resource Planning – I have in-depth knowledge on scheduling and budgeting for various project sizes and as well as being able to adapt schedules to unforeseen problems.
- Learning and Development – Several years experience as a lecturer in universities and institutes, setting up and delivering the curriculums. I bring these skills into work when I can.
- Production Manager, Brown Bag Films. 2017 – 2023.
- External Examiner, AnimationDept, Athlone Institute of Technology, 2019-2021.
- Managing Director & Producer, Giant Animation. 2011 – 2017.
- Founder & Manager, Pegbar – Irish Animation Networking. 2008 – 2018
- Lecturer, Communications Dept, Institute of Technology Carlow. 2016 – 2017
- Associate Lecturer, CG Design and Animation, Dublin City University. 2009 – 2013
- Freelance Artist, Multiple Clients. 2007 – 2012. Clients included JAM Media, Crowdscanner, Cellplay Networks, Kavaleer, Caboom, AllMyKit, ElZorrero Films, TeamDaddy, MedMedia, Irish International, HMH Publishing.
- Guest Lecturer, Various Workshops on Animation, Film and Production. 2010 – 2016. Trinity College Dublin, Athlone I.T, Dundalk I.T., Limierick I.T., Ballyfermot College, Colaiste Dulaigh.
- Foundation to Art Therapy, Certificate, 2021, Dublin Art Therapy College.
- Introduction to Art Therapy, Certificate, 2021, Dublin Art Therapy College.
- Therapeutic Art Life Coach, Certificate, 2021, Udemy.
- Interactive Strategies for Engaging in Art, Certificate, 2020, Museum of Modern Art.
- Art & Ideas: Teaching with Themes, Certificate, 2020, Museum of Modern Art.
- Art & Inquiry: Museum Teaching Strategies. Certificate, 2020, Museum of Modern Art.
- Creative Problem Solving, Certificate, 2019, University of Minnesota.
- Master of Fine Arts, Art in the Digital World, 2012, National College of Art and Design.
- BA Hons, Animation, 2008, Ballyfermot College of Further Education.
- Higher Diploma, Animation, 2006, Colaiste Dhulaigh of Further Education.
- FETAC Certificate, Art and Drama, 2002, Killester College of Further Education.
- Visual Artist Ireland, Membership, 2023 – present.
- Mallow Arts Festival, 2022 – present
- Imirt, Membership, 2016 – present.
- Irish Association of Creative Arts Therapists, Student Member, 2021 – present.
- Careers in Screen & Skillnet, Consultation & Workshops 2017-2018.
- Visual Artist Ireland, Membership, 2012 – 2018
- Animation Ireland, Board Member, 2013 – 2015.
- Pegbar, Irish Animation Networking, 2008 – 2018
- Animakers, RuaRed, Workshops, 2016
- Coderdojo DCU, Animation Workshops, 2014
- Youthreach, Workshops, 2011 – 2013
- ZeroCapital, Art/Music events, 2006 – 2008
- Production Manager. Netflix’s ‘Ridley Jones‘, 20x11m, Brown Bag Films. 2020 – 2023.
- Production Manager. Disney’s ‘Eureka‘, 6x11m, Brown Bag Films. 2020.
- Production Manager. Disney’s ‘Vampirina‘, 40x11m, Brown Bag Films. 2017 – 2020.
- Producer. BBC Worldwide’s ‘Go Jetters‘, 50x11m, Giant Animation. 2014 – 2017.
- Asset Manager. Digit Games’ ‘Star Trek Prime‘, Game, Giant Animation. 2016.
- Animation Producer, Cartoon Saloon’s ‘Tobar An Choeil‘, Music Vid(x2), Giant Animation. 2016.
- Animation Producer, HMH’s ‘Curiousityville‘, 36x2m, Giant Animation. 2016.
- Producer, Giant Animation’s ‘Geist‘, Short Film, Giant Animation. 2015.
- Producer, Prickly Pear’s ‘Paperboy‘, Trailer, Giant Animation. 2015.
- Producer, Parcel Connect’s ‘Fastway‘, Advert, Giant Animation. 2015.
- Animation Producer, Storytoys’ ‘Too Many Teddies‘, App/Game, Giant Animation. 2015.
- Animation Producer, HMH’s ‘Curious World‘, App/Game, Giant Animation. 2014.
- Animation Producer, CBBC’s ‘One Minute World‘, Pilot, Giant Animation. 2014.
- Animation Producer, Storytoys’ ‘Jelly Jumble‘, App/Game, Giant Animation. 2014.
- Director, Caramagic’s ‘Magic Friends 2′, App/Game, Giant Animation. 2014.
- Director, Trocaire’s ‘CJ‘, Online Videos, Giant Animation. 2014.
- Producer, Ted Talks’ ‘Space and Time‘, Online Videos, Giant Animation. 2014.
- Animation Producer, Storytoys’ ‘Dino Dog‘, App/Game, Giant Animation. 2013.
- Director, Trocaire’s ‘Water Aware‘, Online Videos, Giant Animation. 2013.
- Producer, Terry Pratchett’s ‘The Duel‘, Short Film, Giant Animation. 2013.
- Director, Caramagic’s ‘Magic Friends‘, App/Game, Giant Animation. 2013.
- Director, Target McConnell’s ‘One Direct‘, Advert, Giant Animation. 2013.
- Producer, Ted Talks’ ‘Death of the Universe‘, Online Videos, Giant Animation. 2013.
- Producer, Ted Talks’ ‘Myths of Evolution‘, Online Videos, Giant Animation. 2012.
- Producer, Bonfire’s ‘Parcel Motel‘, Advert, Giant Animation. 2012.
- Animation Producer, JAM Media’s ‘Curly Hare‘, Trailer, Giant Animation. 2012.
- Producer, Irish International’s ‘Bo‘, Online Campaign, Giant Animation. 2012.